Thursday, February 25, 2010

Integrating Computer Software into Education

I can fully envision utilizing all three types of computer software in my classroom when I begin teaching. Each one has a unique set of attributes which will make them useful in terms of assisting the learner’s ability to learn. The teacher-centered tutor or drill software aids the learner’s ability to automatically recall lower order skills which are a prerequisite to mastering more advanced concepts. The software’s functionality which includes immediate feedback makes the lesson more motivating for some students and saves the instructor correction time. I would use this type of software to reinforce a recently covered lesson to promote encoding of the information in long-term memory.
Directed inquiry software programs such as Webquests and E-Sheets are more child centered and progressive in nature. They focus more on collaboration and children learning by doing. As a teacher I would guide the process by selecting the appropriate programs for my students which fit into my lesson plan and would provide the most meaningful connection to the topics we have discussed. I would use these programs as a fun exercise for the purpose of students demonstrating their knowledge of the subject at hand.
The student-centered constructivist software programs such as Etoys allow students to be free to come up with their own solutions and construct their own knowledge. I would want to be secure in the knowledge that my students thoroughly understood the basics of my lesson before moving into software programs like Etoys. I believe in the opportunity for students to construct their own knowledge with a degree of teacher guidance; however the experience with Etoys demonstrated the potential frustration that could result if adequate technical support is not on hand if and when the students run into roadblocks. Utilizing software programs that unduly frustrate the student is counterproductive and unnecessary when so many non-technical methods of accomplishing the same goal are available.

2 comments:

  1. Part of the challenge of determining which technology strategy to use, as you have laid it out, is determining what "basic knowledge" is. The constructivist argument is that what is learned through student-centered or inquiry-based learning is that it is learned more deeply than via other teaching strategies. In our exercise we perhaps did not continue long enough to overcome frustration, but cruel as it may sound, frustration I think is a key part of the deep learning that can take place.

    jd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miles, I agree with your use of technology in the classroom. I also feel it is important that the teacher help guide the students in the technology that they use. The use of webquests could be a lot of fun for students and I believe part of the teacher's role is to find subjects at the right level that would interest and challenge the students. I also agree with the students using tutorials and drill and kills to emphasize what has already been taught. I don't think this should be the main instruction but an invaluable support tool. I read Jim's comment about how some of the deeper learning occurs during the challenge of "Etoys". I agree with him but in that case my frustration level made me feel incapable -that is never a good feeling for anyone. At that point, the teacher's job may be to "bring it down level" so that mastery is a possibility.

    ReplyDelete